Wednesday, November 14, 2007

HTC Universal in Shibuya


I went to Shibuya yesterday to meet up with Andrew, and I tried HTC Universal as a phone using Softbank SIM card. I wouldn't consider phoning using this device in Japan as a main phone, because it is very bulky, and kind of embarrassing to phone especially in crowded places like Shibuya.

I think it will draw too much attention when you are holding a small handheld, and suddenly switching over to a huge phone.

The voice quality, however, was very good, so it is actually the concept that is a little hard to get accepted to the masses in Japan although Willcom has their W-ZERO 3.

The experience of HTC Universal as a Windows Mobile device is pretty good, but the keyboard of Universal is rather hard type on, because you can neither hold the whole device entirely nor actually type it well, because it has almost no key stroke.

I really liked using HTC Universal because it has a much bigger screen than my Tytn II. The Universal experience will be superb if I watch a movie while on plane or a train ride.

The camera of the device I am using did not work very well unfortunately, because it has a Windows Mobile 6.0 on it. If I were to rate the Universal in a scale of 10, I would give it a 8.5 .

The integrated wifi worked great while I was listening to presentation in Fujimama, and actually, a guy sitting next to me was very interested in this device, and asked me what maker makes it and where he could get one.

There are still alot of users who don't even know that Windows Mobile exists, including my friends, who show great interest in the device. The next target of Windows Mobile in Japan and elsewhere should be aimed at students, and it will be a HUGE success!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When it comes to cellphones the Universal was love at first sight for me and actually it is the first phone I bought... ever. Despite its size it accompanied me on all my travels. To Canada last year where I foolishly used data roaming and to Japan this year where I did just the thing you tried now. I got myself a Softbank White Plan card and the Uni works like a charm.

Too bad that Softbank's internet policy is so restrictive - I might consider using a real flatrate (without all the exceptions they state) for 5.000円. Everything else is just crazy for a standard 3G device that runs at 384 kbit/s at max.

As for the typing: Open the Universal completely, let it rest in your palms and start thumping away - it's amazing how well you can type like that and I reach near desktop speeds. Granted, I can't type really fast since I don't use more than a 4 finger hack system. But it definitely puts any software keyboard to shame.

The screen size and resolution of the Tytn II makes this device an impossibility for me. I really don't get it why HTC didn't integrate a VGA screen. It's pretty much standard these days for high end devices. So I could live with the size of the screen itself (some phones pull even 800 * 480 on that) , but 320*240 you can basically forget about web browsing and reading PDFs.

You're right about all the attention it draws - Japan definitely is ready for some phones that you really can do something with. Good as they may be, Japanese phones are so locked down I would never even consider using one. People probably think I am crazy when I hold "the (battery extended) brick" to my ears, but hey: It's the same as wearing my princess Leia style Motorola HT820 stereo headset with the alternatively flashing lights :P