Friday, October 05, 2007

Japan Windows Mobile User Mini-Interview: Dave Mori, Founder and President English OK and Entrepreneur Association of Tokyo

Here's the first in what I plan to be a series of mini interviews with Windows Mobile Users in Japan. I was surprised that I unearthed a few issues that already have solutions, but to give an accurate picture of what user's are experiencing I left Dave's answers as they are and posted my thoughts below. Please follow up with thoughts of your own in the comments thread.


Dave Mori, Founder and President, English OK & Entrepreneur Association of Tokyo

Is this your first Windows Mobile Device?

Yes

What device are you using and how long have you had it?

I am using the X02Ht and I have had it since the first day it came out here in Tokyo, September 22, 2007.

What's your experience so far?

Honestly, it's been life changing. I have a lot of meetings outside of the office and I like to keep up with emails or make notes whenever I have a free moment so I would end up lugging my heavy laptop all over the place and would feel sore and exhausted by the end of the day. I feel much better leaving my laptop at the office and just checking on my device every couple of hours. My shoulders and back are thanking me!!

What's your favorite feature?

I haven't utilized the calendar yet so I would say having the ability to check my POP email accounts is my favorite feature.

What do you most dislike?

The keys are a little small for longer email messages, the office products like word and excel are missing a few basic functions that make using or viewing them a little bit troublesome. Although I don't mind that much my colleagues seem to dislike the volume of my ringtone. Three of us took a crack at trying to figure out how to drop the volume but there doesn't seem to be ringtone volume control.

What feature do you wish you had?

lol, this is dreaming but a Sync solution for my Mac and a Sync function with gCalendar.

Any other comments?

So far, so happy ;) Would definitely recommend it to people who hate lugging their laptops around town and who have a slight addiction to checking emails like me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This program is supposed to allow you to synch your WM6 device with a Mac:
http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

Unknown said...

Interesting feature. I'll be looking forward to more!

While I don't own the phone that Dave does, when I went to check it out at BicCamera in Namba, Osaka, my first concern was how small the keys were. It's true that you can type one-handed with it, but it seemed kind of awkward. Maybe I just wasn't used to it. The WillCom phones are nice because the keys are a little bigger. Of course, you have to used it two handed for the keyboard functionality.

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

Dave will be pleased to know:

1) I'm pretty sure you can change the volume. My guess would be using the directional pad
or the buttons to the right of the device when the phone is ringing. I'd guess there are other options too. Time to hit the manual I think :-)

2)
As mentioned by a previous commenter, The Missing Sync is good for Mac users. I believe it works very well. If you use Entourage you could also use a hosted Exchange solution like 4SmartPhone and
sync over the air. If you just want to install software usually you can download a CAB file which can be used to install software directly on the device.

3) Here are four options for syncing with Google Calendar:
- OggCal
- GooCal
- GooCalSync
- Companion Link

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

Another Google Calendar sync solution here: GMobileSync.