Thursday, March 06, 2008

Understanding the New Emobile Pricing Plans

EMobile have done quite well to make their pricing plans relatively simple, but there are still quite a few different options to consider and things to catch you out. Luckily I've had enough hours study of phone pricing plans service options to have a Phd. in the field. Here's the shortest summary I could produce that should help most people make a decision. (I haven't explained the 'whys' as that would take much longer. Here goes ...

If want voice services or want the the S11HT (Emonster) or H11T you pay a minimum of 2000 yen a month (unless you pay an extra 24,000 for the phone from day 1 in which case you'll pay 1000 yen). When you exceed 23,825 packets the cost will increase, topping off at 4,980 for data. Voice calls will cost you 18.9 yen/30 seconds. (If you pay an extra 980 yen/month calls to emobile are free, to other mobiles 9.45 and 5.25 to land lines for 30 seconds). The only reason to go for this plan is if you want one of the above devices or if you also want to use voice in addition to data. Note you can use both above devices as wired modems with the same flat rate. The S11HT can also be used as a Bluetooth modem.

If you don't want voice and don't want one of the above devices you have about 3 data plan options, but if you plan to use a lot of data, just for the the 5,980 yen a month (which is reduced to 4,980) if you sign a one year contract. You have a choice of the EM-ONE PDA, a PC card/CF card/Express card or USB modem. Only the USB and PC card support 7.2Mbps.

The above services only work when you are in an EMobile service area. You will be able to roam onto the DoCoMo network, but there's two catches. 1) The S11HT doesn't roam onto the DoCoMo network. 2) Even when you do roam with the H11T (which will be anytime - even in areas of Tokyo - when you are not covered by eMobile) you don't get flat rate data and the voice calls are more expensive.

As an aside, note you can also get 10Mbps eAccess ADSL broadband for 1,500 yen a month. If you are on the second option above it is 0 yen. So if you are already paying for broadband and can live with a meagre 10Mbps you can wipe out your home broadband costs.

For myself, I currently have two devices - DoCoMo for voice and Willcom for data. I think I'll drop Willcom and move to EMobile. I'm happy to take questions in the comments.

5 comments:

Emmanuel said...

Hi Andrew,

I just booked my S11HT as a replacement of my old W-ZERO3 from Willcom... I look forward to playing with it at the end of the month...

Compared to the W-ZERO3, it's smaller (and lighter), has bluetooth and GPS, WM6 Pro. I'll be able to read HTML mails at last... PLus, it is not SIM-locked, so I can use it with a local SIM card when I go to Europe...

As a side note, I wonder if you have any information on the support of Remote Desktop. The initial brochure mentionned it as a feature, but an errata paper says the Remote Desktop feature will not be supported on the S11HT.

See you !

Emmanuel

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

Hi Emmanuel

Thanks for the update. Note that although the S11HT is unlocked, my understanding is that it has a 1700 Mhz radio in which can pretty much only be used on the E-Mobile network. I don't think you will be able to use it anywhere else which is disappointing!

As for remote desktop, I just did a quick Google. Check comment 5 on this page for a lead to a solution: http://www.mobileviews.com/blog/2007/07/02/windows-mobile-remote-desktop-connection/

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew, I came across your site as I'm looking for information about using WinMo devices in Japan and which carrier to go with. I hope you can help me out.

I'll be moving to Tokyo at the start of June and will of course need a keitai. I currently use an HTC Wizard, which I understand won't work due to lack of 3G radio.

I want to stick with WinMo for now, and want an English language operating system. I can buy a Tytn off eBay for a decent enough price, or am thinking of a Toshiba G900.

My question is will I have any problems using an English phone in Japan, as I know that they don't use SMS but instead have some kind of mobile email. Will I be able to send and receive these as normal using some settings or an update? How about surfing the web? I am well versed with flashing ROMs from XDA Devs etc. Can I get a 1yr contract using my own phone?

Or would I be better off buying a device while I'm out there? Can I get an English language phone on contract out there?

Also, looking at some of the providers sites I'm a little confused. What would you recommend for making about 200 mins calls a month and sending about 100-150 sms/emails? Unlimited web browsing would be cool too.


I hope you can help, it looks like you know your stuff!

Many thanks,

Mark

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

Hi Mark

Some thoughts:
1) You can send SMSs to people using the same carrier in Japan. I've mostly been lucky sending SMSs overseas as well, but sometimes have trouble and my current phone (a HTC Touch on the DoCoMo network) can receive them but not send. A hard reset may fix the problem but it's not worth it for me. Note that would be quite expensive though.
2) When choosing a phone look for 'UMTS' support and it will work on DoCoMo and Softbank. Neither carrier officially supports the use of 3rd party phones. Phones will auto-configure themselves for voice, but you will have to configure the data connection. I don't know whether setting information is available for DoCoMo, but the settings for Softbank can be found unofficially on the web (like at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/windowsmobileinjapan). Note that the Softbank X02HT and X03HT are WM Standard and have English UI option.
3) Based on your planned usage I would recommend you go with the Softbank Blue Plan + Flat Rate data package which costs 5,700 yen/month.

Also feel free to post at the above Yahoo! Group to get advice from others.

See you in Japan!

Andrew

Elegba The Red Dog said...

Good post! What are the sign up requirements for eMobile for a non-national?