Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Impressions of X02HT


I was lucky enough today to try out the X02HT in Bic Camera at Ikebukuro. The first hand impression of the device was good, and although the device does not have a touch screen, it seemed to do a great job with the Windows Mobile 6.0 OS. I personally prefer having both a touch screen and buttons, but that depends on the person.

There was no surpise to me using the device though, because many phones nowadays have almost the same capabilities as the X02HT, excluding the Wireless LAN. I guess the major plus to this device is the availability of the softwares developed by third parties, which are available on the internet. Also, if you are a developer, it will be a great device to develop programs for the Windows Mobile.

The device will cost about 33,000yen to 36,000 yen for users who used Softbank(Vodafone) for more than two years to buy the device. (No further payment needed).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So the new Wilcom windows mobile devices don't allow for public download of applications?

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

You can download applications for any of the Windows Mobile devices in Japan including the Willcom one. Still there are only around 5 devices which is a very small number compared to the number of other types of phones.

Willcom has been very innovative and I really hope they do well. The advantage the Softbank device has though is that it is a 3G device, has an English interface (for those who need that) and also you have the flexibility of number portability if ever you want to switch to DoCoMo or AU. (Willcom does not offer number portability).

Unknown said...

The guy at Yodobashi said there was no English option on X02HT. How do you access it?

Thanks!

GoodPeopleJapan said...

Hi Andrew and all,
I have had the XTC since it came out to. It was more a good mix of timing and desire for better email access than planning - I'm no mobile device freak - indeed I'm lazy and don't usually get much time to figure out what's what.
I concure with Dave M and the guys - how do you turn this thing down. I mean really...
What else is cumbersome is general navigationaround email, and contacts groups seem un configurable.
Can anyone answer if I get Outlook 2007 for mobile devices - will things like contacts improve?
(What about cut and paste in Contacts!!?)
Still, I'd rather be using this than my old phone or most new ones I know of. Come on next version though...

Freewheel Jack said...

To get to the English interface, you go Start --> Settings (設定), then you will have a text menu. Go to choice #7 (more) and go to the next page. On the next page, selection #5 should be Regional Settings (地方設定) or something similar. From there, you can select an English interface.